[ale] somewhat off topic, not like any windows user would evenget it..

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Thu Aug 23 09:05:58 EDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Ned Williams wrote:

> Has anyone on the list had any expirience with methods of getting good
> solid grounds on a pc case and specifially the sound card itself so as
> it remove all of the tape like HISS interference associated with audio
> playback? Last time I hooked up my sound card to my proton amp it
> sounded worse and the 1980 reel to reel I keep around for laughs...

A 1980 reel-to-reel deck should sound nothing short of awesome as long as
it is well-kept.  They didn't (AFAIK) make any reel-to-reel decks in that
time frame except for the audiophile market.  Given that you have a Proton
amp, I need to assume you are in that general category.

As for your sound card, what kind of sound card do you have?  This makes a
pretty big difference.  A lot of the sound cards are made of junk hardware
and simply don't live up to the potential of the digital medium.  You
should be able to get a 96dB S/N ratio and dynamic range out of a 16-bit
card, but, one finds, in many cases, even though the dynamic range is up
to snuff, most of it is lost due to a S/N ratio of around 40dB.  This
noise isn't caused by grounding problems, but rather is coming right out
of the DAC's due to poor design.

I use a SoundBlaster Live! card, and it sounds very good.  Creative claims
a 96dB S/N on this card, and I find it believable.  It also has an S/PDIF
port in the event you might want to add an off-board DAC.  Finally, it has
no built-in amplifier (just line-out's), which are probably adding to the
noise problem you are having.

Interesting comparison, Creative does not publish the S/N figure for their
SB16 card.... I think they are too embarassed.  Based on what I hear, I
estimate it to be in the 40'ish range at best.

I have heard good things about the Turtle Beach cards, but have not tried
them.  There are also some professional-grade cards, if you don't mind
spending the extra bucks.  I couldn't name them for you off the top of my
head, but I volunteer at a community radio station, and I know they are
using such cards.  These cards have RCA plugs on the back rather than
3.5mm (no room for XLR's).

I hope this is helpful.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.