[ale] apache question

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Wed Aug 22 08:14:39 EDT 2001

Wandered Inn wrote:

> Maybe I assumed this was easy. :(  In my commonhttpd.conf file I
> modified my <directory /> as follows:
>
> <Directory />
> 	Options None
> 	AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> I then started/stopped httpd (via rc.d), no go.  I then located
> apachectl and exec 'apachectl graceful' still no go.
>
> Assuming this would do what you've indicated, yet I can still list the
> contents of directories that do not contain an index.html file.
>
> What did I miss here?

   Chances are you missed a directory definition that has "Options Indexes" in it.  Like:

<Directory /var/lib/apache/htdocs>
   Options Indexes
</Directory>

<DirectoryMatch ~/public_html>
   Options Indexes
</Directory>

   You will need to remove the Indexes from the Options line. (and restart apache)

Lost In Tokyo,
   Keith

BTW: the graceful thing had nothing to do with this change, but only how apache is stopped.