[ale] MS trying to blind side Linux via tcp/ip?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu Aug 16 12:27:02 EDT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Thompson Freeman wrote:

> I suspect that the models of biological illness may be appropriate to the
> study of computer security. If there has been work done on this approach,
> does anybody have some pointers to the relevant literature?

Cant find the thing, but maybe the title will jog someone's memory...

I read a paper a while back on a study like this. The title was "Survival of the
fittest, in Internet time". I cant recall who wrote it, but it seems like it was
a graduate student. Her conclusion was pretty obvious, yes...with the advent of
self propagating worms, heterogenous environments did have significant
advantages. However, she also concluded that the overall security posture had a
tendency to decline due to personnel issues (training, hiring, etc.)

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security