[ale] Adaptec AHA1480

KeithH hne at inetnow.net
Mon Aug 13 17:51:10 EDT 2001

Hi Gang,

   I'm making my first venture into the land of pcmcia on my HP Omnibook 6000.  I'm
running RH6.2J w/ a 2.2.18 kernel.  I'm wanting to backup my laptop to my DAT drive,
because my hard drive has started to fail (getting bad sectors).  I downloaded the latest
pcmcia source and built it without problems.

   The core pcmcia drivers load ok...but when I insert the Adaptec 1480 SlimSCSI Cardbus
card (or boot the system with the card inserted), I can see the modprobe aba1480_cb
happen, and then the system locks up tight.  No response from the keyboard (or mouse).  If
I remove the card at that point, the kernel panics (I haven't seen a kernel panic in a
LONG time!)

   Has anyone experienced anything like this?  Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks,
   Keith