[ale] network question

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Aug 13 11:01:35 EDT 2001

Mel Burslan wrote:

> The answer is yes to both hub and switch. If you are using a plain old
> dumb hub, you are the one calling the shots which devices can talk to
> which other device(s) on any given IP address range/subnet. If you are
> using a switch, the situation may get more complicated if there are
> "virtual lan"s to get into the action. In which case, switch ports which
> are going to be on the same subnet must be assigned to the same VLANs.

Okay, so a couple of folks say this is possible.  Question is, I'm not
sure how this works.  For example, say I have a hub that contains
172.16.255.0, but I want to stick another machine on that hub with the
ip of 172.16.200.15.  So how's the routing work?  I've tried this and
this machine can't see any of the others.  The gw on this hub is
172.16.255.220, but I can't get the 172.16.200.15 machine to 'see' the
gw.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein