[ale] Newbie Greg's Question of the Day - Smoothwall vs OpenBSD

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Sun Aug 12 00:08:39 EDT 2001

>From owner-ale at ale.org  Sat Aug 11 22:39:50 2001
>From: "Greg" <runman at telocity.com>
>To: <scott at smnolde.com>, <ale at ale.org>
>Subject: RE: [ale] Newbie Greg's Question of the Day - Smoothwall vs OpenBSD
>Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:38:36 -0400
>
>Do your have any experience with NetBSD ?  Is it something designed strictly
>for internet/intranet usage ?  Also, can I run Linux programs on FreeBSD ?

NetBSD is designed for the same sorts of things any other
Unix-type OS is designed for.  :)  NetBSD's "emphasis" is
on cross-platform portability.  Both FreeBSD & OpenBSD can
run Linux programs & I think (but I'm not certain) NetBSD
can do the same.

>(ie. StarOffice, Gnucash, Win4Lin, etc ?)  I have noticed that there are no

StarOffice & GnuCash can both run on FreeBSD; Win4Lin
cannot (I don't think), but FreeBSD can run WINE.

>books on OpenBSD, but several on FreeBSD. Are there any companies supporting
>FreeBSD or is it something that is just "out there" ?

FreeBSD is supported primarily by mailing-lists.  Check
their Web site(s) for further information.

http://www.freebsd.org
(also http://www.openbsd.org & http://www.netbsd.org :)

>Sorry if these seem stupid questions, I give greater weight to someone is
>using this stuff as opposed to strictly researching it on the Internet (and
>I work in a 110% M$ IT shop where no one knows or cares about anything
>except Microcrap...<rant>  though Bill has made it really simple and easy to
>work with - Look Ma ! I can insert a disk, hit "install" and I am a sys
>admin !! wahoo !) </rant>
>
>TIA
>Greg Canter

FreeBSD also has a very nice system for
updating/maintaining the OS itself.  :)

>BTW, OpenBSD and all the BSDs are real UNIX operating sytems whereas
>GNU/Linux, is linux-like.  Functionality between the *nixes is very sililar.
>
>Feel free to visit #freebsd, #freebsdhelp, and #bsdvault on
>irc.openprojects.net if you have further questions.
>
>I don't want to seem like I'm busting on linux, but I'm not.  Linux is
>great, but for ease of management, I find FreeBSD does an excellent job at
>everything I need it to.

Seconded.  Linux is Wonderful, as is *BSD.  They each (&
each Linux distro as well) have their relative strengths &
project goals.