[ale] Moving httpd to different port (was AT&T Broadband blockinginbound http?)

Michael Perigard michael at ancker.net
Fri Aug 10 10:58:20 EDT 2001

I'm going to claim ignorance, but I thought I understood how web browsers
and requests work. If I enter http://www.yahoo.com, doesnt my browser
automagically try to connect to port 80? Just as if I use
ftp://ftp.yahoo.com, I should be trying to connect to port 21. Now if
that's correct (which it must not be, otherwise it wouldnt be so simple
to just 'move' your httpd service to another port), what happens when I
try http://www.yahoo.com and the http service is running on port 81? My
browser will find no webpage at www.yahoo.com unless i specify
http://www.yahoo.com:81, correct?

-Michael Perigard