[ale] Browsing MS Network

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Fri Aug 10 07:46:28 EDT 2001

I am not sure if you have gotten the answer you wanted and I appologize for
giving you a little bad info yesterday. The command string I gave you was for
the smbclient command. The other method which may serve you better. Is the
smbmount command. I did a little research and found some documentation that I
had printed out the last time I set up a Samba box. This is a lot better info
than what I gave you yesterday. Hope this accomplishes exactly what I think you
were searching for.

The syntax is as follows:
smbmount  //<SERVERNAME>/<SHARENAME>" -c 'mount /<MOUNTPOINT>  -U
<USERNAME%PASSWORD>

Where MOUNTPOINT is a dir you create on you linux box. In the past I would
create a folder with the same name as my NT domain and then create sub folders
to reflect the different servers. This way it does in some way resemble browsing
the network with MS.

If you want these to mount automatically each time you boot your server, then
you will need to go into  /sbin, and make a link to the smbmount command and
call it mount.smbfs, you will be able to use the standard mount command to mount
a NetBIOS share and again if you want to you can add smbmount points in the
/etc/fstab file.
You will have to perform the following actions:
# ln -s /path/to/smbmount /sbin/mount.smbfs

This will thus create a link called mount.smbfs to the smbmount program. Now you
can edit the /etc/fstab file and add an entry for each resource. The line looks
like this :
//server/sharename

  /directory  smbfs   noauto,username=myname,password=xyz  0 0

If you want the share to be mounted at startup, remove the word "noauto," from
the above line. Then, if the share is not automatically mounted at startup, by
typing mount /directory, where "directory" is the folder you created for a
particular resource, the resource mount it immediately.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA       _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager            _/
\_    TSYS Total Debt Management  _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                 _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                _/
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          "Arafat"      |
|        |          <abmtek at yahoo.|
|        |          com>          |
|        |                        |
|        |          08/09/01 08:11|
|        |          PM            |
  |      To:     SAngell                                   |
  |      cc:                                               |
  |      Subject:     RE: [ale] Browsing MS Network        |

Thank you.