[ale] Portsentry and IPTables

djinn djinn at djinnspace.com
Mon Aug 6 15:58:46 EDT 2001

> 2) Your firewall won't let nmap touch anything except port 80, provided
> that it is configured properly. If you want to get nmap working, try
> using "-P0" to tell it to ignore the ping issue. That way, it will take
> longer, but you should still see all that portsentry activity you
> desire.
>
> Question: Why run portsentry? You have turned of all these services,
> right? So why bind a daemon to them again?

That's a darned good question.  I've been wondering that myself. Nmap
scans log to my system log, but doesn't seem to be alerting portsentry
because all the ports are filtered.  On the other hand, portsentry
binding to ports doesn't seem to be a problem because, again, all the
ports are filtered.  Nmap shows nothing on a
-sT -p 1-1024 -P0
scan of the system, is there some other way that the portsentry-bound
ports would show up?

Thanks
jenn