[ale] New Virus???

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Mon Aug 6 15:15:32 EDT 2001

> Ever since Wednesday (8/1) I've seen a tenfold increase in the number of
> connection attempts logged on my firewall. The interesting thing is
> almost all of these attempts are for port 80. Ordinarily, I get about
> 2-to-5 connection attempts per day and 99% are for ports 27374 or 111.
> But beginning Wednesday there has been a surge of attempts for port 80,
> comming in from all over the internet.

>From /etc/services:

  sunrpc		111/tcp		portmapper # RPC 4.0 portmapper TCP
  sunrpc		111/udp		portmapper # RPC 4.0 portmapper UDP

Portmap (port 111) and DNS (named port 53) are two very popular way
to break into Linux & Unix systems because so many people are running
unpatched software.  Be sure that you are not runing portmap and NFS
(port 2049) so as to be accessible from the Internet.  Avoid running
DNS unless necessary.  If necessary, ensure that it is not running as root.

  asp		27374/tcp			# Address Search Protocol
  asp		27374/udp			# Address Search Protocol

> Is there a new hole discovered in Apache?

None reported.

> Or is this the big "Code Red" hole in M$'s IIS servers?

Your logs indicate that this is a IIS attack.

My new candid interview is up on

     http://www.linux.org

or

     http://www.linux.org/people/toxen.html