[ale] ide reset

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 18:38:15 EDT 2001

I used to use WD drives all the time - they were cheap - but
no more. They definitely have quality problems. I haven't
settled on a preference yet, but I've got Seagate, Quantum,
and Maxtor drives in different machines now, and they all
seem more reliable than WD. (Of course this is not in
any way a scientific statement :)

-- Joe

Stephen VanDyke wrote:

> I've had lots of problems with Western Digital drives (IDE) too... but only
> those under 15GB. Maybe the QC department only checks the ones over that?
> >From personal experience, I've never had any problems with IBM drives (IDE),
> although I know people who have had issues with their SCSI ones.
>
> Stephen VanDyke
>

> > I had this problem with a WD HD.  Turned out the drive was bad.  When the
> > event occured, there was a loud clicking noise in the drive.  It
> > was really
> > strange.  When the drive was in constant use, it worked fine.  If
> > it sat for
> > an hour or so, whamo.
> >
> > Viel Glucke!
> > DK

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S