[ale] ide reset

C I comidio at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 12:27:38 EDT 2001

My hard drive is kicking up error messages when being
left on for extended periods of time (i.e. 12 hours +)
the error message is basically to the effect:

hde: irq timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
ide2: reset : unable to process command.

The machine at this point is locked up, and upon
rebooting the BIOS will not reconize the ATA/100 bus.
If I leave the machine off for a few moments then it
comes back up I sometimes have to repair the file
system but usually it is ok.  The machine is new and
the Hard Drive is a 15gig Maxtor.
I searched the archives and found I short thread on
the subject.  One suggestion was to replace the Hard
Drive, but I would rather not have to deal with that.
The last entry was to recompile the kernel (theirs
happened to be 2.4.1) and added DMA and PCI support.
They said that this fixed the process.  I am going to
try this as soon as my machine comes back on line.

I was wondering if any one else has had this trouble
and what they have tracked it down to.

CI