[ale] password file users shell set /bin/null?

Randolph C. Karrh randy at NewRiverplt.com
Fri Aug 3 09:29:25 EDT 2001

Greetings Ale'rs:

Yesterday, I was supporting a client in Surrency,Georgia (where?) who
has been hosting on one our competitors machines in California.
It was a Sun Os webserver with some very interesting settings in their
password file. Single ftp users were set to the following shell.

Example:
plunkett:x:511:511::/home/web/plunkett:/bin/null

It works whening ftping, but no telnet or ssh.

I am bewildered, Please explain?

Randy

--
Randolph C. Karrh Jr.   "May the world work for you and not against you!"

Concepts2020.com
P.O. Box 2124                   office   843.684.3874
Savannah Ga. 31402              fax      843.784.6232