[ale] backup suggestions

KeithH hne at inetnow.net
Wed Aug 1 08:13:46 EDT 2001

rob hoppe wrote:

> "michael d. ivey" wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 04:44:13PM -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>>
>>>I'm presuming that by "back up" you mean copy server disk drive data such
>>>that it can be taken far from the server.  Looks like you're left with IDE
>>>tape, possibly Travan, and SCSI emulation.  Within-server disk-to-disk
>>>transfers only protect you from a failed drive or RAID set and nothing more
>>>serious.
>>>
>>Any pointers on parallel tape drives?  Also, anyone done SCSI over
>>parport?
>>
>>--
>>

> Any backup demands a good fast media.  True SCSI is the only sure way to be sure.
> One person suggested a hard drive backup, this is a good option and should be
> considered.  Slow drives can be used here and checked easily.  A DLT through SCSI
> is the preferred method for me.
>
> Rob

   I agree with Rob on this one.  If you want speed, reliability,
portability, multiple backups, and more of a backup than just a mirror,
then tape still rules.

   And if you hunt around, you can find good deals.  I saw a refurb Dell
P120 (DLT 7000 Library {8 tapes I think, about 400+GB}) at a local shop
for about $700.  The only downside is that is was HVD SCSI, and that
means also buying a $200+ controller, since you can't use it with SE or LVD.

Keith