[ale] page103.htm

Jason MisterRain at intemperance.net
Mon Apr 30 10:05:56 EDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Brian J. Dowd wrote:

> Of all I've heard I like the suggestion that the page was "something
> else" once on another machine which had page103.htm on it. Why don't you
> create that page name on your machine but put an email link on it with a
> POST form so that anyone who loads this page can let you know exactly
> how he got there and what he was looking for. Someone is bound to solve
> the mystery!

I've had something like this happen to me -- at one point when my machine
wasn't running for a few months, I just pointed my domain name to a
friend's server for the hell of it.  A bunch of pages on her machine got
hit by the MSN search spiders during this time, indexed as
www.mydomain.net/page.html instead of www.herdomain.org/page.html.  So I
get referrals from MSN search pages all the time for pages that aren't on
my server.

I was baffled by this until, poking through the logs, I realized that they
were all referrals from search.msn.com -- I went there, tried a search for
"mydomain.net and the-mystery-page's-name.html" and realized what was
going on.  I'd try a couple of similar searches and see if they shed any
light.

Since my "mystery pages" were on a friend's machine, I added a line to my
custom 404 message with a pointer link to the right address.  I'll get rid
of it whenever the bogus hits slow down.