[ale] Wireless PC Card

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Wed Apr 25 12:04:08 EDT 2001

> Can anyone recommend a good 802.11 wireless PC Card for a Linux laptop? Preferably a well
> documented one. :)
> --
> Blake Sorensen

I am using a lucent based wireless card.

I like the fact that is is easy to connect external antennas.
( The community pool was just out of range without the range extender antennas)

I don't like the missing documentation which prevents the card from ever
working as a linux based base station and requires me to run the cards
in ad-hoc mode.
( Unlike prism based cards http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/index.html )

There are a lot of security concerns with 802.11 - I would recommend running
SEC/IP with strong firewalls on both wireless ends.

Stephan Uphoff