[ale] XO to Telocity: So Far, So Good.

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Apr 23 15:18:42 EDT 2001

I've been on Telocity for a year and some now. Phone support response time
has been all over the place - from near instant to quitting after an
hour. The only grouse I have to date seems to be the need to power cycle
the router about every 2 months, or something (bad)  happens to the linux
box's route table.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, John Mills wrote:

> ALErs -
>
> My US$0.02 on the ever-popular "I [love|hate] my [ISP|DSL\
> Provider]" thread:
>
> Thursday, 29 March, I lost the ssh link to my home around mid-day. By
> early Friday I understood I was a casualty of NorthPoint's demise.
> Recourse to DSLreports led me to another carrier out of East Lake CO,
> which was Telocity. One static IP, no startup fee or minimum service
> period [at that time and as-of this writing], 4 e-mail accounts, at $49/mo
> (considerably cheaper, if less lavish, than XO) so I signed up around
> mid-Friday.
>
> I prepared to "hurry up and wait" while falling back to web and dialup
> access to my dear, departed XO accounts.
>
> Actually on 11 April, I got a note saying my ASDL "Gateway" was onboard
> Airborne Express 2-day service to me: 1 1/2 weeks post-order. Friday, 13
> April, I received the unit, installed it, and in about 10 minutes had the
> family iMac surfing away. (Initially I had connected to the nice, new
> phone line BelchSouth had brought in for the XO SDSL link. When it failed
> to lock in 2x10 minutes, I moved to our old phone line, and then had lock
> in a couple of minutes. Now that it's adapted to the line it takes more
> like 20-30 sec. to synch.)
>
> Slipping the firewall back in, reconfiguring it, and getting basic net
> access to the Linux box was another day or so, delayed by a priority
> response due the IRS. &8-P
>
> After a predictable number of bulletholes in my feet, most of my older
> Linux services were runing smoothly around mid-week.
>
> I'm still migrating mail service to my Linux box to preserve my
> domain-name mail accounts, and y'all can expect to see my pleas for help
> as that progresses.
>
> I have not seen any problems attributable to Telocity. I ran one set of
> speed tests which came out c.1,500 kbps downloading[!] and c.220 kbps
> uploading. Given that I don't serve anything more complex than ssh console
> sessions, I can live with that. (XO came out about 720-740 kbps either way
> - it was _S_DSL, after all.) Based on one sample, Telocity's telephone
> customer support is willing, a bit slow to reach, and deal best with Win
> and Mac setup issues (_not_ Linuxphobic, but basically provide generic,
> minimal *NIX support). E-mail support took 4 days (but it included a
> weekend), and the reply was pretty much to the point.
>
> I'm sure I will have problems from time to time, but at the moment I
> consider I came out quite well.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net