[ale] usb-storage

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Fri Apr 20 12:28:25 EDT 2001

Oh
yea,  Do not unplug the CD and plug it back in while the system comes back
on.  PANIC!
<SPAN
class=428591716-20042001>
To get
the CD to work, I have to take following steps.
<SPAN
class=428591716-20042001>
1.
TURN OFF the OnSpec
<SPAN
class=428591716-20042001>2.  Boot 7.1
3.
modprobe usb-storage
4.
Turn on Onspec
5.
Plug in USB cable.
<SPAN
class=428591716-20042001>
This
is a major pain
<SPAN
class=428591716-20042001>
<SPAN
class=428591716-20042001>Chris
<SPAN
class=428591716-20042001>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chris Fowler
  [mailto:ChrisF at computone.com]Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 12:15
  PMTo: 'Dunlap, Randy'; 'ale at ale.org'Subject: RE: [ale]
  usb-storage
  I got it working on 2.4 with a CD-ROM.  But It seems like
  Linux wil not recognize any HDD I put into the <FONT
  size=2>box.  I'm starting to think I was ripped off.  The unit I'm
  using is an OnSpec External IDE -> USB and is using
  chipset 90C36.  I am getting a little scared in Linux <FONT
  size=2>When I get error message at each load of CD device, "WARNING: Data
  integrity not assured"  Do I really want to burn
  CD's on USB?  I really wanted to use it for extra storage but it seems I
  may be out of luck.
  Chris
  -----Original Message----- From:
  Dunlap, Randy [<A
  href="mailto:randy.dunlap at intel.com">mailto:randy.dunlap at intel.com]
  Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 11:20 AM <FONT
  size=2>To: 'ale at ale.org' Subject: RE: [ale]
  usb-storage
  From: Chris Fowler [<A
  href="mailto:ChrisF at computone.com">mailto:ChrisF at computone.com]

  I just connected an 8GB HDD to my linux box using an external
  USB -> IDE box.  When 2.2.16-20 (RH 7.0)
  boots, It sees my USB ports but stated that the
  device connected is not supported by any loaded
  driver.  I then excuted "modprobe usb-storage'
  and the kernel message was 'USB storeage support registered'. <FONT
  size=2>I did not see mention of the HDD.  Is
  there a missing step?  What device nodes do I use
  to partition and format this drive? <FONT
  size=2>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  usb-storage support in Linux 2.2 is there, but the
  usb-storage maintainer actually wishes that it were
  only in 2.4. USB mass storage uses SCSI transport and
  requires lots of the SCSI subsystem to be in place,
  but the Linux SCSI subsystem changed a lot between 2.2
  and 2.4.  usb-storage is really written for Linux
  2.4, not 2.2.
  After that, USB->IDE controller support still may not work
  for some controllers, even in Linux 2.4.  It is
  still being worked on a good bit.
  It would help to see the contents of /proc/bus/usb/devices
  when you have this device attached.  That would
  provide the device descriptors.
  Some works in progress for USB IDE are: <FONT
  size=2><A href="http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-reisinjo/datafab/datafab.html"
  target=_blank>http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-reisinjo/datafab/datafab.html
  and <A
  href="http://bravin.home.cern.ch/bravin/usbide.html"
  target=_blank>http://bravin.home.cern.ch/bravin/usbide.html
  plus whatever is already in the Linux 2.4 kernel.
  ~Randy
  PS: The right place to ask about this is <FONT
  size=2>linux-usb-users at lists.sourceforge.net IMO.
  -- To unsubscribe: mail
  majordomo at ale.org with "unsubscribe ale" in message body.