[ale] A little gripe

J.D. Forinash foxtrot at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 20 06:49:08 EDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:42:34PM -0500, Ben Coleman wrote:
> Depends on how much cable you can expect to make.  I know from
> experience that the cheap crimpers will produce flaky cables.  If
> you're going to crimp your own cables, you should be willing to shell
> out for good crimpers.  If you need a limited number of cables, it may
> be less expensive (particularly when you figure what the time you spend
> in making the cables is worth) to buy pre-made cables.

We've also noted that once you factor in labor, even relatively cheap
undergraduate-assistant labor, (for ethernet at least) it's once again
cheaper to just buy 'em pre-made with the boots already on 'em. Even in
lots of a couple hundred.

If you're just doing it yourself, heck, a good set of crimpers is worth
it just for geek value. :)

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                           ,-.
Georgia Tech College of Computing CNS  ( <