[ale] max length ethernet cable & attaching end connectors

Leonard Thornton Leonard at Intelis-inc.net
Tue Apr 17 17:28:41 EDT 2001

At 04:01 PM 4/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:

> > What technique is successful in attaching the RJ45 connectors to the
> > cable ends ?
> > I  unsuccessfully tried a couple of times using a crimping tool from
> > Home Depot. I'm using their cat5e cable [eight wires I believe].

OK, I'm lazy....I admit it.  I also have failing eyesight, which is another
reason I use this method.

Forget the crimp RJ45 crimp connectors.  I usually go to Home Depot and buy
the RJ45 receptacle plugs (crimpless, 110 punch down types) and use these
on both ends of my cable run.  Then just use your handy, dandy 3ft patch
cables for connecting the two ends.  Yes you will pay more for this
solution, BUT if you are like me, it saves a lot of time and frustration
trying to figure out WHICH pair I crimped wrong.

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net