[ale]idebus=?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Apr 16 08:49:57 EDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Marc Vogt wrote:

> > I have an AMD 1.1ghz Athalon running a 133 bus.  I just booted my box and
> > it said the bus was at 33, use idebus= to override.  Before I go and
> > risk nuking my box by screwing up a setting, is it just a lilo append
> > line that says something like append="idebus=133"?

Your FSB, not your PCI, is running at 133 MHz

> This should do.  I don't know about your board but I have my P5AB
> set up like:
>
> image = /vmlinuz
>         label  = new
>         root   = /dev/hda1
>         vga    = normal
>         read-only
>         append = "debug=2 noapic nosmp hdc=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi idebus=66"

You almost certainly *don't* want to do that.  idebus is the speed of your
PCI bus, which is probably 33 MHz.  That's kinda a confusingly named option
-- lots of people seem to think it has something to do with ATA/33 vs ATA/66
vs ATA/100, but it doesn't.  See drivers/ide/ide.c....

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                               kaboom at gatech.edu