[ale] UW-imapd problem

Brandon Hall brandon.hall at alumni.duke.edu
Tue Apr 10 22:44:17 EDT 2001

Friendly ALErs,

Been hung up on this for months, time to get it resolved:

I downloaded the Univ. of Wash. imapd source (imap-2000a), built and
installed it on my Debian potato box (gets fired up via inetd).  When
I connect, it always opens with the following:

* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 NAMESPACE IDLE MAILBOX-REFERRALS
SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND]
blah blah blah

I've built it with and without SSL auth mechanism, and it always
starts the session with "PREAUTH", which means I'm unable to login as
a particular user.  I can even do this:

a001 SELECT INBOX
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 1] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] Permanent flags
a001 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed

but I have no idea whose mailbox imapd thinks it's selecting.  Don't I
want imapd to be giving me "* OK IMAP4rev1 server ready" so I can
login properly?  It doesn't look like imapd takes any command line
arguments, and there's no config file, so I'm not sure how to change
its behavior.

Or perhaps it's doing what I want it to after all and I just don't
understand IMAP.

My undying gratitude to whomever can help me set this up right (my
original goal was just to get a webmail interface working, but now I
want to figure this out).

Thanks,
Brandon

Your palindrome for today: Man, Eve let an irate tar in at eleven a.m.