[ale] Sparc10

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Tue Apr 10 08:14:27 EDT 2001

I set up a sparc 10 with RED HAT 6.2.  Worked Fine.  SLOW.  I had a single 40 megahertz processor in it.  I tried to find a faster CPU on Ebay but the really good CPU's cost as much as a used PC.  A major limitation I encountered is 1) The best the serial port could handle was 38.8 Kbytes to my U.S. Robotics modem.  2) There isn't really that much in the way of software to put on it.

At the time I got the machine, I had a choice of a DEC Alpha and the Sparc.  In retrospect perhaps I should have taken the Alpha.   I finally traded the Sparc and will stick with Intel.  By the way, RED HAT supports a Sparc Linux newsgroup.

John