[ale] Distributed File Systems

jhubbs at telocity.com jhubbs at telocity.com
Sat Apr 7 17:01:24 EDT 2001

> What you are describing above sounds more like fault tolerance in a
> filesystem. If that is the case, then it sounds like you really need is
> a journaling filesystem versus a distributed filesystem.

> ---
> Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)

Vernard -

Not quite.  Whereas the use of ReiserFS or ext3 would be fine for the physical filesystems themselves, what I'm really looking for is a kind of machine-to-machine RAID.  Mojo Nation (see Freshmeat) works in a way similar to what I'm looking for, but I don't need the concept of "mojo" and I need something that can be accessed Coda- or NFS-style, not a la Gnutella/Napster.

- Jeff