[ale] Cron

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Fri Sep 29 20:51:37 EDT 2000

It seems to me that we need to know more about what getit does, and why it
wants to clear the screen and position the cursor.

Given that, however, a program called from cron will need to be a program
that does nothing fancy with the cursor or screen on output, simply sends
straight text, with no escape codes of any sort.  This is because the
output is gathered into a file which is then emailed to the user.

Obviously, getit has some call in it which checks that the terminal has
these capabilities, and therefore runs correctly from a term, but not all
from cron.  If you can find this call, and determine that it is not
needed, you can comment it out or replace it with something else.

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Brian J. Dowd wrote:

> Can anyone give me pointers to resolve this cron problem?
>
> Typed on the command line this *works* for user 'username'
> /home/username/getit ^TIC.N >> /home/username/datafile
> (^TIC.N is the ARG to getit. I've tried escaping the caret and
> quoting the ARG as \^TIC.N and "^TIC.N")
> getit is a Perl script and is rwxrwxrwx in /home/username/
> datafile is rw-rw-rw in /home/username/
>
> However the identical line in that user's crontab *doesn't* work.
> * * * * * /home/username/getit ^TIC.N >> /home/username/datafile
>
> The only hint that anything is wrong is mail *from cron* telling the
> user that
> "Your screen lacks the ability to clear the screen or position the
> cursor."
>
> Any Ideas?
> --
> Brian J. Dowd
> 73, W1DOC

Critter at Wizvax.Net
There seems to be no limit to how long Verizon can hold up delivery of
a competitor's DSL.