[ale] OT: IP addresses for amature radio

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 29 01:14:02 EDT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:28:01 -0400, Rod Young wrote:

>Can any of the network gurus give me the skinny on this? It is my
>undestanding that that when the IP address were parcled out that some
>were set aside for amature radio use.

Yes, net 44 (44.0.0.0/8) is allocated for the Amateur Packet Radio
network (AMPRnet).

>How do you get one of those addresses?

Net 44 is subnetted by U.S. states and other countries.  Georgia is
44.36.0.0/16.  The Georgia subnet is further subnetted and allocated
according to actual on-the-air networks, with each network having its
own coordinator.  When you've figured out which LAN you're going to be
participating in, you'll need to contact the coordinator for that net
to get an address assignment.  There is a list of assigned addresses
floating around, but I haven't yet found an up-to-date one.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at