[ale] NFS Tuning

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Thu Sep 28 21:06:33 EDT 2000

Anyone have any general tips for tuning NFS on a small network (really
small, it's my home network of 3 and sometimes 4 machines and a
printer.) I've set read and write sizes to 4096 as I seem to get the
best performance from that. I often see icmp messages sent from my
machine to the NFS server that are 'ip reassembly time exceeded'
messages. Since my home directory is on the NFS server, I hit the
network a lot. I had some problems with SCSI termination on my server
and I fixed those and performance has increased a lot, but I
occassionally get some hicups (like listening to MP3's off the
server.) Is my block size too big?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Stephen