[ale] OT: Looking for good theme for network names

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at genetics.utah.edu
Thu Sep 28 10:21:55 EDT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Chuck Mattern wrote:

> This is just a little off topic here because I'm looking for a good naming
> scheme for a network comprised largely of Linux machines.  I'm hoping to find
> something out of literature but not too heavy (I remember the story of the
> four laser printers of the apocalypse).  Currently I have a hodge-podge and am
> in the process of a major clean up so it seems an apt time to re-address and
> rename the machines.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

More suggestions I've not mentioned yet:

OIT at Georgia Tech uses Warner Bros cartoons (acme, wakko, etc) and Dr.
Seuss (sneetch, oobleck, etc).

My lab uses cheap wines (Ripple, Boones Farm Strawberry Hill, etc.) for
Windows / Macintrash, Norse mythology (Loki, Odin, etc) for Suns, and Hindu
mythology (Hanuman, Ganesh, etc) for the Linux boxes.  The cheap wine thing
is fun, especially when you're browsing Appletalk shares, but it's actually
surprisingly difficult to find more names once you hit ~10, so you might
want to avoid it unless you're a connoisseur ;-)

For the most obscure one I've seen, before I came out here for grad school,
I did some consulting at a shop that used Drosophila (fruit fly) gene names.
That was amusing, since the Drosophila nomenclature system (unlike most
other organisms; I'm a human geneticist, and we use really boring names)
tends towards fun names that describe the function of the gene
(fearofintimacy has mating issues, methuselah is long-lived, schnurri
regulates bagpipe, etc.).  You can get all the fly gene names from FlyBase
if you want something like that....

I've seen a shop out here that uses Quentin Tarantino characters for
everything.  Kinda fun, as long as you *don't* work with people who will be
inspired to recite Ezekial 25:17 every time they log into jules ;-)

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                               kaboom at gatech.edu