[ale] OT: Looking for good theme for network names

Carl Forsell cforsell at roman.net
Thu Sep 28 09:43:00 EDT 2000

When I came to my present place of employment I
was amused and confused by the naming scheme.  Mudpuppy, shark, ... names
that mean nothing.

I have set up about 20 networks, and while it might not be
creative, I use (function)(location)(company)  ie: email_rome_xyz for the
email server or wsacctg1_rome_abc for the first machine in the accounting
section.

Creativity is great in it's place, but do we really have the
time to figure out which workstation is "snowwhite"when there is a
problem?
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
    -----Original Message-----From:
    Brian Baysinger <<A
    href="mailto:BBaysinger at primepower.com">BBaysinger at primepower.com>To:
    ale at ale.org <<A
    href="mailto:ale at ale.org">ale at ale.org>Date: Thursday,
    September 28, 2000 9:17 AMSubject: RE: [ale] OT: Looking for good
    theme for network names
    How about the band of adventurers from "Time
    Bandits".  Obscure enough to be interesting.  I had tracked
    down their names on the web for this same purpose at home, but unfortunately
    haven't gotten past "Randall".  :)  Sorry I don't have a
    link or the list.
    Brian.
    -----Original Message----- From:
    Chuck Mattern [<A
    href="mailto:cmattern at mediaone.net">mailto:cmattern at mediaone.net]
    Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 9:52 AM <FONT
    size=2>To: ale at ale.org Subject: [ale] OT: Looking
    for good theme for network names
    This is just a little off topic here because I'm looking for
    a good naming scheme for a network comprised largely
    of Linux machines.  I'm hoping to find <FONT
    size=2>something out of literature but not too heavy (I remember the story
    of the four laser printers of the apocalypse).
    Currently I have a hodge-podge and am in the process
    of a major clean up so it seems an apt time to re-address and
    rename the machines.  Any suggestions would be
    welcome.
    Regards, Chuck
    -- <FONT
    |Chuck
    Mattern           |
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."|
    |cmattern at mediaone.net   | -Friedrich
    Nietzsche-
    | <FONT

    -- To unsubscribe: mail