[ale] Wireless by aple?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Sep 27 20:59:06 EDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I'm looking for a good wireless solution for indoors.  So I can connect
> 2 laptops and a remote desktop to my server rack.  So far the Apple
> solution is looking the best.  Is it supported.  Does anyone have any
> other cheap alternatives that will work?

The Nokia stuff is pretty good, but it only meets one of your
requirements. works=yes, cheap=no.

Base station w/antenna, has DNS forwarding/NAT/DHCP, 300 ft range.
These run about $700.00  The cards are in the $150-$225 range, depending
on the type you want. (PCMCIA, PCI, etc.) It's 802.11b after a free
upgrade (when I purchased) so you should be able to use cards from other
vendors to get a good price.

I bought 2 base stations to connect 2 LANs. Just out of curiosity I pulled
the PCMCIA card out of one and popped it in my laptop (Mandrake 6.0). It
worked immediately and a quick ifconfig had me running at 2Mbps. I can't
say that it'll still work after the upgrade to 802.11b though...didn't try
it. It didn't matter to me since there was no hope of getting LAN speed
between the two buildings anyway. I've also *heard* good things about
Lucent's line of wireless products, but unfortunately they're pretty
expensive too. A little bird told me that Netgear was about to jump into
the fray, so you might want to hold out for that.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security