[ale] Mgetty/Slackware

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Wed Sep 27 13:48:15 EDT 2000

"Ben Coleman (by way of Bob Kruger )" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:40:55 -0400, Bob Kruger wrote:
>
> >Is anyone successfully running Slackware with Mgetty for dialin?
>
> Yes, I am, handling shell and PPP login, and Fax.

Just to verify - this is running Slackware?

Did you compile Mgetty from the source, or use the Redhat RPM

> >I have compiled and installed Mgetty in accordance with the Pocket-ISP
> >How-To.  MGetty will answer the modem, but I have not been able to get

> What kind of connection from the Windows box are you trying to make?
> PPP?  Windows normally expects to be able to drop right into PPP, and

This correct, and I want it to authenticate via PAP.  I compiled from
the source, installed, and entered mgetty as part of the inittab.
Mgetty comes up just fine, and answers the telephone.  After that
nothing much is happening.  PPP is installed and works (I have used PPP
to dial out).

Would you have some configuration files that I could take a look at?

Regards - Bob Kruger