[ale] Toshiba 2105CDS and linux

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at genetics.utah.edu
Wed Sep 27 09:18:28 EDT 2000

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Gary S. Mackay wrote:

> Well, I've tried SuSe, Redhat 7, Slackware 7.1, Caldera 2.4, and TurboLinux 6
> on my laptop and can not get it right. The bigest problems are the display and
> the Xircom RE100BTX PCMCIA network adapter. I've been to linuxlaptops web site
> but most of that is old. Has anyone had any success getting linux on one of
> these laptops?

Your NIC is supported by the xirc2ps_cs driver that comes with pcmcia-cs.

Your display is probably supported too, since Toshiba usually uses sane
chipsets.  If you know which chipset it is, you'll probably have better
luck.  Keep in mind that XFree86 4.0 support for laptop chipsets is very
shoddy, compared with 3.3.6, so you might have more success installing an
older distribution that still uses 3.3.6; Debian 2.2 autodetected everything
on my new laptop except the sound card (and the sound card's not Debian's
fault, since only 2.4 kernels support it, but a quick kernel upgrade fixed
that problem), but crashed and burned with Red Hat 7 betas' auto-detection
b/c of the XFree86 4 issue.

> 	I was hoping to use Caldera since it was the only distro to COMPLETELEY find
> and configure everything on my desktop machine, sound, video, modem, I mean
> everything. I was impressed. During the install on the laptop tho, the screen
> blanks out as it (I presume) is trying to go into some sort of gui mode to
> begin the install procedure.

At least with RH, there's also a text-mode install available.  You could try
that if Caldera offers one (and if they don't, they need to.  Their GUI
install is horribly broken on the machines I've tried it on).

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                               kaboom at gatech.edu