[ale] Router DNS Tables - off topic

tewkewl at mindspring.com tewkewl at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 27 09:06:23 EDT 2000

this sounds kind of odd.... seeing as how the majority of routers out there are not DNS servers.... IF you are talking about flushing arp cache, then I could definately see that...but that's very normal operation for a router.  Otherwise old information might be stored in memory or arps that are not needed would waste memory space.

-Patrick

Lathe <magius at wittsend.com> wrote:
> I know this is somewhat off topic for a Linux group, but I am curious
about the dynamics of routers.

A friend and I got into a discussion on the allocations of IPv4
addressing as opposed to the IPv6 addresses and something odd came up.
It was explained to me that an existing problem that the internet has is
that the a lot of the major routers that are in use are running out of
memory in their DNS tables.  Once these table are full, the routers then
do a complete memory flush and therein lies the problem.  Once that
happens, the routers will no longer be able to forward datagrams to
address blocks.

I'm not as familiar with routers as I'd like to be.  But this doesn't
quite sound right to me.  I was curious if anyone could possibly explain
the dynamics of the memory tables to me.  Or, if this system IS correct,
could someone tell me so.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Warfield