[ale] CRON Logging

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Sep 26 10:48:06 EDT 2000

Oops.  Forgot to mention that you must modify another line in
/etc/syslog.conf which sends entries to /var/log/messages.  You
probably have a line that looks something like:

*.info;lpr.notice;mail.none;authpriv.none         /var/log/messages

You need to add "cron.none;" at the beginning, thusly:

cron.none;*.info;lpr.notice;mail.none;authpriv.none           /var/log/messages

Also, I should correct myself regarding logrotate.  The script
should send a HUP signal to syslogd, not to crond:

/var/log/cron {
    postrotate
        /usr/bin/killall -HUP syslogd
    endscript
}

If you have a "/etc/logrotate.d/syslog", then it would probably be more
logical to add the script there, rather than creating /etc/logrotate.d/cron.

My errors stem from the fact that the cron that I use (RedHat based)
was built to log messages using its own log file rather than through syslogd.

--Joe