[ale] Remote FTP

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sat Sep 23 10:37:32 EDT 2000

Hello all,
        If you remember, I posted a little while back about trying to FTP
through a firewall. While that came to no avail, I've come up with
another idea, but am lost on the implementation of it. The county school
board has blocked every port except 80 and 25, I believe, which are http
and mail respectively. Our webserver is not hosted internally, so it is
not behind the county firewall. Our idea is to write a script so that we
can go to a webpage on that server from inside the firewall and put in an
ftp address into a form and click a button. It would then download that
file to the webserver and we could then transfer it via http. Ideally we
would like it to automatically come to us through http like this:

<FTP Server> --FTP--> <Our Webserver> --HTTP--> <The requesting computer>

If we could get it to do this without having to store the entire file on
the webserver, it would be good too.  But, the problem is that we don't
know what language would be best to implement it in and how we could do
that. Our first thought was perl, but neither of us know perl and don't
know whether it could do the job or not.

        So, our question is this. Would Perl do the job? If not, what
should we use? If so, does anyone have any sample scripts that we could
use or modify to do this? If not there, then does anyone know any good
tutorials that would tell us this type of thing?

        And also, is there any way to use this same philosophy to gain
access to things like telnet and other services that would be useful?

Michael Golden