[ale] can't su sometimes.

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Fri Sep 15 14:42:27 EDT 2000

I have a bizarre problem where I sometimes can't su to root from an ordinary
user account.  I can log on to the local console as root just fine.  Then if
I log onto the next virtual terminal as a user and 'su', it always reports
'incorrect password'.  It's a RH 6.2 install with Bastille hardening.  And
this problem wasn't there when we first set the machine up, it seems to have
appeared since then.

What could lead to this?  It sounds like it's just some setting, but I can't
find it.

                      __   _                 "I hate to advocate drugs,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,     alcohol, violence or
pynk at post.com        |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    insanity, but they've
                     \__.-._)         '''     always worked for me."
		                                 -- Hunter S. Thompson