[ale] Linux Tape Backup of Win98 Partition

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Wed Sep 13 13:50:14 EDT 2000

Reading the threads on tape backup makes me wonder about what I am doing...

I routinely use taper to backup both my Linux and Win98 partitions.  I have
never had the occasion to restore Win98 files.  I frequently restore to
Linux.  I have always assumed that the Linux tape, could be utilized to
completely restore a trashed Win98 partition ASSUMING I successfully
reloaded the base WIN98 operating system to the Win98 partition before the
restore.  I have always assumed that I could get everything back.  My
experience with tape restorations from within Windows98 with a Windows98
tape produces mixed results.  I might get my data back.  I would still have
to reload all my programs which would update the registry. I have never
gotten Microsoft Office or Visual C++ or the like back from a tape restore.

Can a Linux tape restore do it all?

John