[ale] DSL and firewall tips

Michael Johnson mjohnson at c-cor.net
Wed Sep 13 12:27:12 EDT 2000

I have the 4-port switch in use currently.  It was very easy to
configure and had the one extra feature that the NetGear router did
not offer, a DMZ host.

In the default mode, no port forwarding, etc. it is rock solid. Things
I do not like though is the forwarding of ports. You can't configure,
from the firewall/router, specific IP's to allow through the ports.
With this I still needed security features enabled on the box itself
to deny/allow access to specific IP's. Granted, on a unix platform
that was simple enough as the services I run have that built-in, but
if you are running Wintel clients and plan on forwarding ports to
those boxes, expect to still implement an additional firewall.

A link to the user guide.
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr41ug.pdf

After installing this and paying for the ease, I wish I had of taken
the extra time to go ahead and configure a Linux box. : (

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~randy
Georgia Institute of Technology
randy at cc.gatech.edu
College of Computing                                         (404)
894-9046
Computing and Networking Services Group
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cns