[ale] FTP through firewall

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sun Sep 10 20:29:06 EDT 2000

Hello all,
        From looking at the list archives, it looks as if this topic has
been discussed before, but I could not find the answer I need there or in
any documents in a web search. I am in a class at school with only two
people in it where we help out the school's sysadmin with fixing
computers and learning stuff. The school has a T1 which goes through the
county's T3. At the county end, they have set up a firewall which is very
restrictive. It blocks all outgoing and incoming telnet, ftp, etc. They
block ftp because they feel they cannot regulate it well. But, we need
ftp for a few things. For example, the school runs McAfee VirusScan on
all of the computers and they update themselves from the .dat files on
our local NT server. In order to get the dat and SuperDat files, we have
to dial out and download them. With this setup it takes longer and cannot
be automated as well. Also, the county would not be happy if they found
out about that. So, we are looking for some way to get through. Perhaps
it is possible to tunnel FTP through HTTP?? The only solution I have
found on the web or in archives is to use PASV mode, but that does not
appear to work for us. I have talked to the sysadmin and he is open to
any linux solutions which could help us. Does anyone know if this is
possible to do or if there is a better way around it? The county will not
change it and we cannot switch ISP's because of the WAN that the school
system uses it for.

Michael Golden