[ale] Mandrake 7.1

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Sat Sep 9 14:25:24 EDT 2000

Jeff Hubbs writes:

 > Netscape does something that's really maddening.  By default, when you
 > click on a link that results in a file being downloaded, the dialog box
 > starts off with your home directory (i.e., /home/<username>) and if you
 > hit OK then and there, that's where the downloaded file will go.
 > However, when you try to navigate around in the dialog box, the filename
 > itself is lost.  What I usually do is navigate to where I want the
 > downloaded file to go, hit Cancel, then click on the link again, at
 > which time the filename suddenly reappears at the end of the path you
 > navigated to previously.

I've gotten hooked on "nt", a downloader for X-windows.  Using
netscape, drag and drop the link you want to downloadinto it and it
will prompt you for where to put it.  You can set defaults.  It keeps
track of mor recently used directories.  It shows you status and stats
of downloads.  You can set limits on the number of simpultaneous
downloads.  It does both ftp and http downloads.  It's quite nifty.

--Michael