[ale] Coyote setup eth0 not recognized

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 5 01:27:30 EDT 2000

Well, after some investigation:
Can't tell for certain that the LNE100TX Linksys card is really
supported.  I am using the 0.91g-ppc v of Becker's tulip driver in the
Coyote dist.  The hardware pages seem to indicate that the LNE100TX
should be supported past 0.83 but I am not sure.  The Linksys webpages
say the driver on the floppies that came with it should work.  What is
on the floppy is a link to the tulip driver code with instructions on
compilation and installation.

Is it possible that the NC100, which I can't find any compatibility info
on, is what is fouling up the tulip insertion?  I shall remove it and
see what happens.  There was a note in the hardware compatibility page
that indicated that any ethernet card with a processor wasn't compatible
with Linux.  The NC100 is advertised as not loading the CPU for faster
throughput.  The link for the NC100 is not Linksys's homepage but
www.networkeverywhere.com.  Interesting.

The vendor ID is listed in /proc/pci as 1317 for both cards while the
card id is 985.  This doesn't match up with the examples on the tulip
page.  I have tried this command:
insmod tulip.o debug=6 options=11,11  and
insmod tulip.o debug=6 options=0,0x200
which resulted in the same:
init_module: Device or resource busy

Oh well.  I have some old ISA based 3Com cards I can fall back to.
Anyone understand what is going on?  Thanks,
Dow