[ale] OT: Can Bad PS Cause Hangs?

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Tue Oct 31 11:53:18 EST 2000

By way of an update, I've replaced the PS with a 300W one that at least has
voltages that don't make the mobo alarms go off at POST, however, my problem
hasn't gone away.  One of the other symptoms I've been having (but more
rarely) has been sudden inexplicable X restarts.  Someone on IRC took a look
at the xdm error file (which starts off with a Stack Trace report) and said
he thought my problem was almost certainly bad or inappropriate RAM, which
was the next tack I was gonna take anyway.  I found a useful user-mode RAM
testing program on Freshmeat, but I think that to really get any meaningful
results out of it, I would need to reboot into "linux single" and run it
from a floppy.  If anyone has a better way to test RAM, I'm all ears.

- Jeff