[ale] bleeding edge (was why so difficult)

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Oct 29 09:03:00 EST 2000

When Microsoft releases an update, service pack, hot fix, it does replace
libraries. That's why after a service pack upgrade it is common to have
non-Microsoft programs behave strangly of just simply break.

RPM may not be the ultimate package manager, but it will work to warn you
when you lack the basic funtionality needed to run the new package. In
that repect, rpm works great.

However, many people also install stuff from tarball's. This will cause
problems with package managers of all types. Also, some programs have
scant information about which libs they were compiled with. That is why I
tend to get source rpm's and build my own binaries. Only rarly do I run
into problems other than needed the development rpm for a particular
package.

Linux has had mp3 music music playing abilities for a long time. Every
distribution I have seen ships with it. Even RedHat. There are at least 2
with gui's for gnome and many others for KDE. They all work fine on all
70+ boxes I have installed on in the past 2 years.

JimK
Local Net Solutions