[ale] Problem connecting to ZDNet

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Oct 27 11:35:12 EDT 2000

In a nutshell, I can't seem to bring up ZDNet's website in my Linux browser,
but I can do so from Window$ 98. It appears to be a telnet-level problem.

Here's the scoop AFAIK:

- I'm DSL-connected through a Telocity gateway box from my box's 3com 10baseT
  Ethernet PCMCIA card (3c589).
- I have a dual-boot notebook, with Win98 on one partition and Red Hat 7.0
  running a locally-compiled 2.4.0-test9 kernel.
- If you're still reading after that statement, you're obviously the
  adventurous sort. :)
- I am able to connect to www.zdnet.com from Win98's IE.
- I am unable to do a "lynx www.zdnet.com" from Linux, however.
- Performing a "telnet www.zdnet.com http" under Linux yields
  "Connection refused", so that rules out browser-specific issues.
- Performing a "ping www.zdnet.com" from Linux, however, does yield remote

So with all this in mind, what would be the best way to analyse betweeen the
two OSes just what kind of TCP/IP packets I'm sending?

TIA,

Fulton Green
http://www.FultonGreen.com/