[ale] DSL - winfire says yes, bellsouth says no

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Tue Oct 24 17:07:07 EDT 2000

Okay...for all of you out there with DSL, I'm confused.

I go to dslreports.com, put in my info, it says I'm 78000 feet from the
CO - way too far for anything.

I go to bellsouth.com's dsl page, punch my phone number in and it says
there is no service for me.

I go to freedsl/winfire.com, put my number in and it says Congrats.

So, how can these people do it?  My office mate had the same situation
where he was told no,no,no, and is now paying for (and getting) 384k.

So how can they get me DSL when bellsouth, who has the lines, can not?