[ale] RedHat 7.0

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at genetics.utah.edu
Fri Oct 20 10:33:57 EDT 2000

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the compiler(s) *themselves* are broken -
> the problems I see are mostly in the category of "fit and finish."

I don't think end-users' unwillingness to read the basic documentation that
comes with their software falls in the category of "fit and finish."  Even
with all that IPO money, Red Hat still can't cure stupidity ;-)

In all honesty, there has been a truly extraordinary amount of FUD spread
about Red Hat 7 [1], most of it by people who have never even seen the
product.  Like all distributions, it has its problems, but it's certainly
the best release Red Hat has put out yet....

later,
chris

[1] My favorite is still the /. article claiming that everyone should run
Debian (which has, as of this morning, 14419 open bugs in all products)
because Red Hat has 2500 open *and* closed bugs in all products (and keep in
mind that Red Hat ships a lot more products than Debian).  That's not
intended as a slam of Debian, BTW -- I run Debian.

--
Chris Ricker                                               kaboom at gatech.edu
                                              chris.ricker at genetics.utah.edu