[ale] info

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 17 08:46:37 EDT 2000

man gcc works as expected, of course.

info gcc results in "info: dir: no such file or directory"

In fact "info <anything>" results in the same message, though
a little while ago I was getting the man page for wc when I did
"info wc". Ah, when I'm root I get the man page, when I'm
myself I get the error. So it's an $INFOPATH problem,
I suppose.

Still, of the great many info pages in my /usr/info
directory, only a small number (gcc, emacs, libc, that's
about it) are actually available via "info <keyword>". I'd
love to know how to fix that. I usually use the Gnome
help viewer, which magically sees everything in /usr/info,
but sometimes I'm stuck with the text-mode info viewer.

Thanks,

-- Joe

--
*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)