[ale] deb and rpm

Yu, Jerry zyu at Ptek.com
Mon Oct 16 10:46:17 EDT 2000

just curious, what prevent deb to use the blessing of GnuPG?

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, michael d. ivey wrote:

#On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 08:26:25AM -0400, Stephen Pellicer wrote:
#> I only want some _objective_ differences in the package formats. Looking
#> over them they seem very familiar and I am not quite as familiar with
#> deb so I wanted to know how it differs from rpm.
#
#IIRC, rpm is cpio based while deb is ar based.
#
#Building rpms requires using a .spec file, which is basically a shell
#script.  Building debs requires using a debian/rules file, which is a
#Makefile.
#
#For a better breakdown, see
#http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/
#
#Joey is a Debian developer, but he also works on Alien, which converts
#between all the different packages.  He ahs tried to keep his comparison
#bias-free.
#
#Key differences from his list are:
#
#rpm supports pgp signed packages, deb does not
#metadata in deb is accessible by standard tools, rpm is not
#deb supports suggests and recommends, as well as requires
#debs can include binary files, rpms cannot (is that really true?)
#
#Many of the advantages of debs actually come from Debian policy, not the
#package format itself.
#
#HTH.
#
#Disclaimer:  I'm a Debian developer.  I like deb.  And when it comes to
#building packages, I much prefer deb to rpm...rpms were a pain to make,
#debs are actually kinda fun.
#
#--
#michael d. ivey        [McQ] : "The thing that bothers me is someone
#   <ivey at gweezlebur.com>     : keeps moving my chair."
#http://gweezlebur.com/~ivey/ :                                  -- TMBG
# encrypted email preferred   :
#

Jerry Z. Yu				mailto: z.yu at ptek.com
Systems Engineer			https://punch
PTEK Holdings, Inc.			+1-404-262-8544 (O)