[ale] Thoughts on ALS

Chris Woodruff cwoodruff at worldwindtech.com
Mon Oct 16 04:40:23 EDT 2000

Another ALS has happened and I had some thoughts I wanted to share.
First I want to thank the ALS folks who worked hard to make this year's
showcase a great time.  I took all three days off to attend and got
information overload.  The tech sessions that I attended where great.  I
liked the fact that there were no "sales" pitches this year just cold
hard technical talks.  I did miss the Eazel talk due to a very slow
waitress but learned more than I ever wanted to know about clustering
overall.

The exhibit floor was fun and toned down this year.  No more 30' high
booths and hard sells.  Just a lot of people having fun.  I was looking
forward to more publishers and seeing what new books were on the way.
Having ESR come in was a surprise.  I had lunch with the Scyld guys and
Don Becker and learned a lot about Beowulf2.

The best event by far was the EFF dinner on Friday night.  I think
everyone needs to try to find ways to help EFF and organizations that
are trying to keep freedom a reality.  Also the food was tasty. <g>

Thanks again ALS for the great time and I hope all the people who helped
with the show are getting the deserved sleep the missed.  I am looking
forward to the Oakland ALS.

Chris Woodruff