[ale] PCMCIA on Toshiba Satellite 200CDS

J.D. Forinash foxtrot at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 13 13:44:43 EDT 2000

I've got a Toshiba Satellite 200 CDS laptop that runs Red Hat 7.0. (I hadn't
previously had Linux on it...) After some arguing with X, everything on the
laptop works beautifully.

I also have a docking station for it. It would make sense to put the PCMCIA
network card into the docking station-- after all, it's at home I use the
network card, elsewhere I use the modem.

Unfortunately, Linux's PCMCIA card services doesn't see the PCMCIA slots in
the docking station (sees the mouse port fine, though...) and after some
poking about, I'm not sure what I'd need to do to make them visible-- or
if it's even possible. The PCMCIA card services configuration stuff I've
found doesn't seem to mention any laptop quite this venerable.

Anyone done anything similar that might could point me in the right
direction? Please email any ideas direct to me (foxtrot at cc.gatech.edu),
and I'll post a summary to the list. (I'll still get it if the reply's
to the list...)

Another only somewhat related question: The MC in PCMCIA stands for
"Memory Card". Does this solely refer to Flash memory and the like,
or does anyone make DRAM memory cards that one could use to augment
main memory (slow as it may be...) on a laptop like this that was
designed for a max of only 40 meg?

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                           ,-.
Georgia Tech College of Computing CNS  ( <